Having a well stocked art bag always gets me in the creative mind set and whenever I can I will try to take this bag of necessities with me. It may sound ridiculous but you never know when inspiration (or productivity) might strike! My main art bag is one that that I bought at forever 21 about 6 months ago. It's actually a makeup bag but I find that it is the perfect size to store everything and on top of that it's all plastic and can be easily wiped down in case of a graphite or charcoal explosion.
So what items do I need in my art bag currently?
1. A BIC Velocity Mechanical Pencil (9 pt): I'm a fan of thicker pencils and this one takes the cake. I always go back to this one.
2. A Pental Pocket Brush Pen: This is a decent brush pen. It's actually a brush tip (bristles and all). Best of all it's refillable so the pen itself has good longevity.
3. A Staedtler Mars Plastic Eraser: My favorite eraser for taking out larger areas.
4. A Bone Folder: Not sure of its brand as I have had this one for a long time but it is a necessity for folding anything.
5. A UHU Glue Stick: As far as glue sticks go UHU is bomb.
6. Olfa Stainless Steel Knife (30 degree blade): I prefer Olfas over Exactos because the break off blades give you more bank for your buck and it is a lot more convenient to snap off a blade then go searching for a replacement for your Exacto. As far as Olfas go I prefer the stainless steel ones to the yellow plastic ones. They are slimmer and feel nicer in your hand which gives you a more precise cut.
7. Pins: I've been doing a lot more experimentation with fibers lately so pins have been a recent addition to the bag (don't worry, I keep them in a tiny plastic box not running loose).
8. BONUS! A small self-healing cutting mat: This doesn't fit in the bag but I often like to keep it with the bag. I loathe cutting on anything but a self-healing mat.